JOB Vacancy Announcement #: 5439
Job Title: Senior Legal Officer
Application deadline: 18.08.2021
Duty Station: roving in Derek and Hasakah
- University degree in Law, Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations a related field preferred, including law, humanities and international relations
- At least 2 years’ experience in the humanitarian field preferred, Previous experience managing teams preferred
- Experience working for an international organization, especially in the humanitarian field, preferred
- Experience producing written analytical reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to effectively liaise with colleagues on all levels in a distributed, multicultural, detail-oriented environment
- Strong computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office, is required
- Excellent organizational skills, and great attention to detail
- Fluency in Arabic and/or Kurdish, English will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated interest in humanitarian work and supporting people affected by conflict
- Positive and professional attitude, flexible, and able work under pressure
- Eager to collaborate with and support people from different ethnic groups and different religions
- Team-oriented and collaborative
- Conduct awareness sessions of legal protection and rights in the community, including through the development of training, workshop and other materials.
- Create information products on rights, protection and legal status and provide counselling sessions for individual cases where appropriate.
- Conduct sessions related to protection risks, including housing, land and property, civil status documentation and other services.
- Conduct mobile field visits to meet with the community and local authorities including camp managements to deliver the importance of some legal issues and the purpose of protection activities.
- Receive and respond to referrals from our staff.
- Develop strong relationships with community leaders and other stakeholders.
- Perform research: since laws and regulations are changing, the legal officer should research legal sources and SOPs.
- Identify risks: Senior Legal Officer should regularly analyze the actions and decisions of the team in order to identify problem areas, suggest alternative actions and mitigate risk as much as possible.
- Advocate for the the organization sectors or other humanitarian actors on legal issues.
Coordination & Representation
- Responsible for leading on legal advocacy and engaging with the community on information sessions, as well as training community focal points to refer protection concerns.
- Working closely with the Protection Monitors and Caseworkers to provide support as needed with regards to legal advocacy and information provision.
- Participate in weekly integrated protection meetings to ensure deliver of Legal awareness programming within PRoL is understood and utilized by all three streams.
- Advocate for changes and expansion of legal programming as demonstrated by the needs of the community.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly work plans in a timely manner
- Support the implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools with regards to legal advocacy and report on problems in the implementation of the program.
- Lead regular planning and de/briefing meetings to ensure adherence to standards
- Ensure targets with regards to legal advocacy are met, and support with the technical content provided to donors, within proposal development and other strategic meetings as required.
- Build the capacity of national staff and community focal points to understand their rights, including access to documentation.
- Work closely with emergency programming to ensure the adaptation of legal awareness programming to support the needs of the most vulnerable in the communities we serve.
Any other tasks as deemed necessary by the Protection Manager, Senior PRoL Manager or Integrated Protection Coordinator.
Nothing to Mention.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to the following email/Link:
Please consider to mention the advert ID (Above) and the job title in the email subject.